I mentioned in a previous blog post that coming out as Autistic can be just as hard or harder than coming out as gay or bisexual.
Coming out as Autistic is hard. So hard that most of the time I just stay anonymous. Below are 10 REAL comments that I have heard first hand when trying to “come out” as Autistic.
Maybe if Autistic people stop getting comments like the ones below more Autistic people would come out of the closet.
- You don’t look Autistic.
- Autism is just a result of bad parenting.
- You just need to learn to grow up.
- There is nothing wrong with you.
- If you tried harder you could over come your struggles.
- You just want attention.
- You are just delayed.
- Everyone has a little Autism.
- You must be high functioning.
- Autism is just a different way of thinking. Its not really a disability.